Account # or Apply for an account Credit Balance: $0
855 908 4010

Pet Bucket Blog

5 Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat

 by wai on 18 Dec 2013 |
7 Comment(s)
All of us want our dogs to be healthy and happy, but it can be quite a struggle to resist the temptation to give your furry friend table scraps. While a special treat on occasion may not be cause for concern, there are several common foods that can be quite dangerous for dogs. In order to prevent tragedy from occurring, avoid these 5 foods your dog should never eat.

1. Onions & Garlic
Regardless of the form these foods come in, onions and garlic are a huge no-no for dogs. These foods can actually compromise a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia. If your dog accidentally ingests a small amount, he will probably be okay. However, repeated exposure to these foods can spell serious trouble for your companion. If you are worried your dog may have ingested large quantities of onions or garlic, keep an eye out for symptoms of anemia which include weakness, vomiting, disinterest in food, and breathing difficulties.

2. Grapes/Raisins
Many dog owners have used grapes and/or raisins as dog treats, but these foods are dangerous for your pet’s health. While scientists aren’t sure of the exact cause, grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney failure in dogs. Even the smallest amount can make your dog ill. To prevent this tragedy, keep grapes and raisins away from areas your dog can reach. Repeated vomiting is a sure sign your dog has eaten these foods, and within a day he will become lethargic and unlike his normal self. Seek medical attention immediately if you notice these warning signs.
3. Candy
Many types of candy and gum are sweetened with an ingredient called xylitol. While we may be able to safely consume this ingredient, it can wreak havoc on your dog’s system. Xylitol can actually increase the amount of insulin in your dog’s body, which can cause blood sugar to drop and liver failure to set in. Loss of coordination, vomiting and lethargy are early warning signs your dog has consumed xylitol. He may also experience frequent seizures. If you notice any of these warning signs, head to the veterinarian immediately.

4. Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nuts can be fatal to dogs, and should never be given as a treat. Even a miniscule amount of these nuts can lead to illness and poison your dog’s system. Symptoms of macadamia nut poisoning include muscle tremors, weakness/paralysis, vomiting, fever and a rapid heart rate. When combined with chocolate, macadamia nuts can make symptoms worse and may cause death. Keep these nuts and any foods containing them well out of the reach of your furry friend.

5. Avocado
Avocados contain persin, which can be toxic to dogs. While you may love guacamole, your dog’s system can’t handle large amounts of this substance found in avocados. While a small amount isn’t likely to cause lasting harm, it’s still a good idea to keep your dog away from them. If you are growing avocados at home, keep them away from areas your dog plays – persin can be found in the seeds, leaves and bark in addition to the fruit itself.

While it can be tempting to feed your dog a special treat now and then, many common foods are dangerous to dogs. In order to keep your pet happy and healthy, avoid feeding him these five dangerous foods.


Anne - Comment
Anne18 Dec 2013Reply
Don't let dogs eat chocolate, either.
Guy ILLY - Comment
Guy ILLY19 Dec 2013Reply
Hi Petbucket
Thank you for the advice.
While we knew about the onions and garlic and perhaps chocolate, we did not know about the other no-nos.
With thanks
Guy Illy
lesley - Comment
lesley19 Dec 2013Reply
you didnt mention onions and garlic which i have been told are highly toxic for dogs
Coral - Comment
Coral23 Dec 2013Reply

Go back and read it again...onions and garlic was the first no no.

Thanks Pet Bucket, for keeping it simple and straightforward.

jonathan winant - Comment
jonathan winant23 Dec 2013Reply
Really need to read the story before posting any comment The very first No No listed was Garlic and Onions I cant see how you missed it!
Arlene - Comment
Arlene07 Jan 2014Reply
Love and appreciate your advice comments in all areas! Thanks!
DC - Comment
DC26 Jun 2014Reply
You didn't say what the symptoms are for ingesting avocados (persin). Please advise
Petbucket - Comment
Petbucket26 Jun 2014Reply
Hi DC,
Some symptoms from ingesting avocados can include: stomach upsets, nasal congestion, breathing difficulties, vomiting, diarrhea and in very serious cases fluid build up around the heart. As always, the best thing to do is consult your vet immediately if you have any concerns. Hope this helps, PB.
EAP - Comment
EAP26 Jun 2014Reply
I had no idea that avocado was harmful. My girls love the tiny bites that I occasionally give them. My poodle has become sensitive to anything fatty, so I have stopped giving her any treat that has a fat content to it, even peanut butter. Well, absolutely no more avocado.

Join the Conversation

* Please enter your name.
Email address will not be published
Please enter a valid email address.
* Please enter your comment.
Image Verification
'Please enter security code.